Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Parents vs. Parents

So usually I don't have any particular topic to talk about but tonight I think I do. Lets talk about parents. I think about the way parenting works two people have children those children grow up start a family your parents become grandparents and then like they took care of you the tables turn and sometimes we have to take care of them. That is the situation I am currently in. My dad lives with my husband and I due to the bad economy and poor decisions made a by a life long business partner. So I love my dad I don't mind him living with me and Owen loves to spend time with him. With that stated sometimes he drives me crazy!!!!!!!! He wants to help most of the time his helping is really just making more of a mess, a tantrum and so on. He wants to help with Owen but as a g-pa is more forgiving than Chris or I would be. Owen is a great baby BUT very strong willed and stubborn. Its his way or fit throwing! Lately we have struggled with bedtime so tonight we were crying, screaming, and throwing blankets because he wanted to play. My dad comes home asks why is he crying and decides he will put him to bed. They were in his room talking, playing and then he put him to bed. Sounds great only problem is my dad went to bed and dear Owen is still up talking, hitting the walls, and making the rocker hit the wall. so it is 10 pm I am blogging and exhausted and my 2 year old is still up!!!!!!!!!! I try and make Owen learn wrong from right and sometimes I feel like my dad unintentionally undoes all the hard work! He loves owen and my two neices more than life and I know he means well but it puts me in a slightly stressful place. I can't say anything to him because he becomes defensive and sensitive!!!!!!!!!! I guess I just needed to vent. There are many more examples and I don't think I can write them because I will just cry. So I guess my question to the blogger world is where do we draw the line with grandparents?? What to do I don't know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I am just tired and everything stresses me out lately! Well thanks for listening. I hope I made sense and didn't sound like a bad daughter. Good night!!

3 comments:

Amy said...

honey...you need a day off..you've been working waaaay too many hours and that job is going to kill you if you let it...you're a good mom, wonderful wife, and a good daughter...go get some sleep and eventually Owie will tire himself out...love you

Maria said...

You don't sounds like a bad daughter, and I totally know what you're talking about, though my parents don't live with me. My mother tells me what to do all the time and gets really mad if I say anything back about it. Her way or the highway. She even has to OK how I decorate my house! I just try to give her the hint that I'm not happy about it, but try not to argue about it. My hubby's good, though, he just says, "Well, that's just the way your mom is!".

Maria said...

And by the way...I tagged you for a meme. You don't have to add 5 if you don't want.