Friday, December 21, 2007

Oh Boy!!!

Well today I was challenged a little to discuss how to dicipline my son. Well Owen is only 20 months but he has a very very STRONG personality. What I mean by that is he already has a temper. He likes things his way or no way at all. I know most kids his age are like that but for example we tried taking the pacifier away at bedtime. Yeah right. The doctors said just let him cry he will finally fall asleep nope not Owen if I would have let him he would have screamed all night long!! He does not give up easily. As far as dicipline already we try and teach him right from wrong. We use NO NO a lot and very short time outs. He knows when he has to sit he was wrong. I grew up in house with divorced parents and surely learned responsibility really early. My husband on the other hand grew up with 6 siblings and alcohol/drug addicted parents ( who have been sober for a very long time now). I had my neice live with me for about 5 or 6 months who was 7 at the time. She has had a very rough childhood to say the least (that is another long blog. She was very challenging to me. She was used to yelling, screaming, knock out drag out fights between parents, being ignored and being bad on purpose to get attention because hey bad attention is attention. So we battled everyday. I guess here are some of the methods I tried. Right or wrong I don't know.

1. Talking: I tried to talk to her like the little person she was. I would tell her why I felt something was right and the reasons why it was bad. Most days it worked others she was just in a mood and didn't care. I did not yell a lot because it didn't phase her, she was used to yelling. I do this with Owen also. I tell him time to go nite nite and I pick him up and take him to bed or he is ready and walks himself to his crib. Same at bathtime time to get out if he doesn't cooperate I pick him up and that is that.

2. Time out: I had to send her to her room to give her a chance to calm down when she got her self all mad and crazy to a point. She was not used to rules and did not like when our rules were inforced. She would yell and scream and throw tantrums. I would calm take her to her room and let her "Chill out" and then would could work things out.

I really don't have more to add at this point. My main goal for Owen is for him to learn to be polite, respect others and to learn what responsibilty is and to be an overall good guy!! Chris and I have a complicated family between my in-laws and his so responsibility is a big lesson for Owen

Miche does not spare the rod.
Jo-N wants to be her children's best friend.
Tot's Mom spares the rod and believes in patience.
Huckdoll spares the rod and believes there are more effective yet gentle ways to discipline than spanking.
Kelly at Ordinary Art has a three-step approach that does not always work but leaves tiny tushes mark free.
OhMommy has spanked and never will again.
Amy spanks when necessary.
The Sports Mama found it depended on the individual child and the situation.
Karen thinks that each situation needs dealt with differently.
Maria sets high expectations and likes "the talk".


AmyC uses choices and a sense of humor

Leslie uses talking and time outs to chill out.

I wish I had 5 people to tag but I don't!!! I am sooooo sorry.

Thats all I have tonight and I will look to all of you in the future as my little monster gets older!!!

1 comment:

Maria said...

Your neice will grow up and realize how lucky she was to have an aunt like you to care for her. Hope Owen gets everything he could ever want for Christmas!